Monday, March 14, 2016

Google Sketchup with Wine

For woodworking projects, there is nothing better than Google Sketchup. Now that I've gone back to Linux, I've needed to have this app working. Unfortunately, there is no Linux version. So, Wine to the rescue! Here's the steps I took to get it up and running.

Install Wine

I opened up the Software Manager, and searched for Wine. This was an easy install, no surprises or tweaks here.

Configure Wine

The first thing I had to do was change Wine to emulate Windows 7 or 8 instead of the default XP, since Sketchup won't run on XP. In your Mint Menu, select Wine > Configure Wine. You should be on the Application tab. There are a two way to accomplish this. First, you can add your application in the window and then select which Windows version to emulate. But I opted for a second method, just selecting Windows 8 as the default Windows version at the bottom of the screen. Click OK, and you are done.

Install the missing DLL

The next task was to install a DLL that was required for startup. If I was running a Windows OS, I would not suggest this, but because it's only for Wine, I don't see too much of a risk. Go to http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mfc100u and download the 64-bit version. Open the downloaded .zip, and copy the actual DLL to the following directory:
~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32

Install Sketchup

Now go download the latest Windows version of Sketchup. Open the folder with the downloaded file, and right-click it. Choose Properties > Open With. From here, select Wine Window Program Loader, and choose Set as default on the bottom. Click OK. This will open all .exe's with Wine from now on. Now double-click the Sketchup installer, and let it do it's thing. There will be several messages popping up of missing programs Wine needs. When these pop-up, allow Wine to install them.

Create Launcher

22 Aug 2016 update: After freshly installing Linux Mint 18, I have not needed to do this step yet. If I find something that requires this, I'll update this post again.

The last step is to create a custom launcher with some added parameters. On the Desktop (or where ever you want), right-click and choose Create a new launcher here. Name it Sketchup, and add the command:
wine "C:\Program Files (x86)\SketchUp\SketchUp 2016\SketchUp.exe" "/DisableRubyAPI"
Obviously, change the "Sketchup 2016" to match your version/folder name. Click OK. I tried to edit the actual menu item for Sketchup with the above command, but for some reason it wouldn't take. If you know what I need to do differently to get that to work, please leave a comment below.

Up and running

That was it for me, Sketchup runs in Wine just fine so far. I had to do some Googling to get this working, so the references I used are below.

References




2 comments:

Justin Kumpf said...

Thanks for putting this out there. Have you been able to add a license? I get a bug slpat when I try.

Jeremiah Bess said...

@Justin, I get the same splat. I tried running Wine from a shell to see if I could spot any helpful errors, but nothing of use came up. I did find a mention of an older Wine/Sketchup combo license workaround. I don't have a license to try it out with, but you can give it a shot. Check the answer for problem 2, Finding the license file:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/671107/i-want-to-run-sketchup-2014-which-is-already-installed-in-the-windows-partition

If you would please, post another comment with the results of that.