Monday, November 28, 2011

Arch Linux: A new (to me) distribution

So I've griped about how slow Mandriva was getting on my laptop, and how I finally settled on Fedora. But I soon found that Fedora had it's own set of annoyances, though I don't remember what they are now. How can I so quickly forget? Because I've installed Arch Linux.

The hardest part of the Arch install on my laptop was installing the BCM4311 drivers for my wireless card. And to tell you the truth, it really wasn't all that hard. I just followed the directions in the ArchWiki.

Well a few weeks after I installed Arch on my laptop, I had a major problem with Mandriva on my desktop. I ran the 2011 upgrade, and it completely botched my system. So I booted to the Arch Netboot CD, copied my documents and other files from the Linux partition to my Windows partition (I could have just as easily moved it to my NFS server), and then installed Arch on my desktop. My desktop seems screaming fast now, and I feel like I have complete control over my OS now.

I installed KDE on both the laptop and desktop. I still have a few apps I need to install, and a couple of services to install and enable (like ntp). But I think I am convert to the Arch way:
  • Simplicity
  • Code-correctness over convenience
  • User-centric
  • Openness
  • Freedom 

No comments: